Saturday, March 21, 2009

Time is Precious


In the last week, I've been trying to get home earlier, so I can spend more time with Aidan.   It's busy at work, sometime my team members wait until 5 o'clock to talk to me, with the famous question of do you have a few minutes which really turns out to be a half hour to an hour discussion.   I decided that anyone, who comes up to me at 5pm to talk is  SOL.  I ask them to book a time the next day to talk to me.

I took Aidan to ride his bike around the block last week and his way of riding his bike is to ride a few feet,  stops,  gets off his bike and checks on Bebe (who is at the back of his bike) and gives him a hug.   Hmm.  Halfway around the block, after numerous times asking him to stay on the bike and keep pedaling.  I realized that what is supposed to be a leisure walk with my little guy was turning into a rush...lets go around the block quickly.   Well he made me realized how foolish I was, when he suddenly said to me "Look mommy at the door, look mommy at the nice tree, look mommy at the nice clouds in the sky".   Wow!  Did he ever get a huge hug and kiss from me. 

Slow down and enjoy what really matters before it goes by you.

5 comments:

andy said...

Nice, MT. Between you and Wallace (see his post) a book about perspective, life and balance is probably in the offing :D

andy said...

I've always said that the saying "Time is money" is absolutely bogus. You can earn the money back but you never get time lost back. That's what kills me most about the idea of long commutes...

irenka said...

YES you are absolutely right! My guys are big now, really big, and I would give anything if they would go around the block with me. Maybe I'll go with Aidan.

Carmi said...

Isn't it nice to get home with the daylight? Makes the evenings feel longer.

andy said...

The beauty of having a child... the blessed opportunity to fall in love over and over again... a wonderful gift of seeing the world through a child's eyes... it is rejuvenating and invigorating, no?