Friday, July 17, 2009

Remembering

Today seems to be about remembering people we've lost.   
A co-worker recently passed away at a very young age.  It's surreal.   I've been away on vacation and I never had a chance to really think about him.  You can feel the emptiness and sadness around the office, not just by his physical absence but his camaraderie.  Each one is coping in their own way, some away from people's peering eyes and some working to preoccupy themselves.

Tonight we went over to my aunts for dinner.  During dinner, Aidan suddenly mentioned  to everyone "how he hopes that my Aunt Gloria is feeling better".  At first I thought he meant my Aunt Carmen because sounded like she had a raspy voice (sounding like she had a cold), but he actually meant my Aunt Gloria who passed away in January.    As we were driving home, he mentioned again that: 1) he wishes that Aunt Gloria is feeling better;  2) he is wondering when she would be coming back home to stay with my aunts and brother; and 3) he wanted to see her.   At this point, I started feeling a little choked up and my brain is working overtime to figure out an answer he would understand and yet not feel sad.   In the end, he felt a little sad but I told him that even, if he doesn't see her, that she is always in his heart.   I tried to get him to think of something else to make him feel better.  Alas, we were passing the Fantasy Fair on Pottery Road and he saw a Unicorn statue.   It seem to do the trick as he gasp and said "Look Mommy a Unicorn!  That made me feel better".  

I've always loved Unicorn and it specially touching to hear that the same special thing made him feel better.  

3 comments:

andy said...

Please kiss my little old nephew for me. Tell him it's from "andy" -- just like he calls me :D w/o "Uncle"...

MarissaDW said...

I'll have to teach Aidan to say Uncle or Tito Andy (heh! heh! heh!)

andy said...

Please don’t — especially not tito!!!