Sunday, January 24, 2010

New Home...

A few weeks ago, we decided to find a new home, for our platys.  Like us, we seem to outgrow the space we have, always seem to pack more things into a house.  Well, we had a 5-gallon fish tank, which Aidan received in his 3rd b-day.  But the two fishes we bought multiplied and multiplied and soon found the aquarium too small and hard to maintain.

We bought a 20-gallon tank and along with it a very expensive light that Wallace bought, which made a difference in the plants we originally bought.  I didn't realized that the plants were supposed to be red, but because of the low light in the original tank it didn't show it's true colours.  

I love the look of our new fish tank.   Wallace has turned our regular aquarium, into Aquascape.

5 comments:

andy said...

Even from the porch outside it looks impressive through the window... please tell Wallace he did a superb job! Thanks for the hospitality last night, sis!

Irene said...

What a great hobby.This is how my son started, a little bowl, then a 2 gal. and then boom a big huge thing. Then that wasn't be enough so he dug a pond. Watch out that will be a summer project. I don't bring the fish in anymore, he's gotten a heater and they over winter out doors. But even though he is away at school he still has a fish tank.

Sharon said...

You realize, of course, that the platys will reproduce to fill up the extra space. You could call yourself a breeder. It does look lovely and makes me nostalgic for setting up a new tank. Nothing like live plants swaying in the current. Plants are more difficult to maintain than the fish. Oooh, I'm getting a yearning. But my cats are so destructive and can't be trusted to just watch the tank action. And I'm still tripping over hundreds of balls of yarn. Just in case I decide to indulge, where did you get your fish and plants? The huge store - Big Al's- at Vic Park and Lawrence closed quite a while ago.

MarissaDW said...

Sharon...I know what you mean. I think a few of the fishes are pregnant and wouldn't be surprised, if there are little ones popping up soon.

Andy...thnx. Anytime.

Irene...Yep, you know how we grow into things. But i don't know about a pond, because I do have a cat that might just go diving for those fishes if he is outside. And then there are the raccoons.

martha brown said...

Hi Marissa -- I would love to take some of your Platys off your hands (perhaps a trade for art?) All that we have left in our 20 gallon tank is a one eyed albino algae eater and a GIANT pleco (started small, but he's huge and scary now -- would be good for dinner, lol)
(I had a pond once, I loved it -- but once the little fish froze into goldfishsicles in the winter. oops)