Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day


My little guy was telling me that he received a sticker for Earth Day at school and asked whether we're going to turn off the light tonight.  It made me smile.   I wanted to explain to him that that was a different type of event - Earth Hour.  I proceeded to tell him about Earth Day, .but stopped short because I didn't know much about it, other than the signs "to take a few minutes to cleanup".   So I decided to look it up.

Earth Day is celebrated every year on April 22nd. Take some time to find out about how one man, who was determined to change the way we treated our planet, didn't stop until he had made a difference.

 

Making The World A Better Place

In 1963, Senator Gaylord Nelson wasn't happy with the earth's condition. He wanted to clean up the planet and solve pollution and environmental problems. As a senator, Gaylord Nelson was someone chosen by US citizens to help make laws, so he had a lot of power. He went to John F. Kennedy, the President at the time, with his concerns. The President agreed that the planet's environment was a serious issue, so President Kennedy went around the country on a five day tour to promote the idea of cleaning up the planet. People began making small changes, but it wasn't enough.

Hmm...something to do tonight.

1 comment:

Leslie Jane Moran said...

Thanks! I did not know this!!
Turn the light off for Aidan anyway!
XXXOOO