- The Flintstones was originally aimed at an adult audience and the first two seasons were co-sponsored by Winston cigarettes. But by the third season it was being written for children and was sponsored by Welch’s, who produced grape juice and jellies.
- The show's famous theme tune, "Meet The Flintstones", was not used until the third series. The musical theme for the first two seasons was called “Rise and Shine”.
- Fred and Wilma Flintstone were the first couple to be shown in bed together on prime-time television when the show first aired on ABC between 1960 and 1966.
- Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble fronted a TV advertising campaign for Wintston cigarettes - a move that would be unthinkable for children's television characters today.
- Many critics believe that the show was a Stone Age parody of the 1950s US TV sitcom, The Honeymooners, which featured two newlywed couples living in New York. One of the show's creators, William Hanna, once confirmed the rumour, but his co-creator Joseph Barbera maintained that it was a myth.
- William Hanna, the co-creator of The Flintstones, also produced the hit children's TV shows Tom and Jerry, Scooby Doo and Yo Yogi.
- The Flintstones held the coveted title of the longest-running prime-time TV cartoon before The Simpsons took on the mantel.
- The 1959 unaired pilot episode was called "The Flagstones". “The Gladstones” was also mooted before The Flintstones was finally decided on.
- The series was set in the town of Bedrock, although in some early episodes it was referred to as Rockville.
- The furniture in the Flintstones’ house changed in almost every episode.
- The family's barking pet dinosaur, Dino, changed colours throughout the programme. Its main colour was purple.
- The cartoon was originally aired in black and white.
- The Flintstones was home to several major-league sports teams. The Bedrock Giants, Bedrock Dodgers and the Green Bay Pachyderms all appeared on the show.
- Several popular celebrities took residence in the showbiz quarter of Bedrock - Hollyrock.Cary Granite, Alvin Brickrock and Stony Curtis were the biggest stars. Mick Jadestone and the Rolling Boulders were Fred and Barney's favourite band.
- There are several Flintstones theme parks in the US, including Flintstones Bedrock City in South Dakota and Flintstones Bedrock Town in Arizona.
Thursday, September 30, 2010
The Flinstones Hit 50
15 Things You Might Not Know About The Flinstones